Running and doing good

After another busy week and my regular late Friday afternoon visit to the Norfolk Arms, I must have slept like a baby because I awoke at 6am on Saturday morning with the radio still on, to be greeted by an interesting discussion on the role of farmers in preserving wildlife and the environment, followed by an equally engaging piece on the challenges posed by human migration.

I’m much more interested in these ‘big issues’ now than I was in the past - older and wiser I guess, less concerned about personal success and status, more bothered about the state of the world when my time is up and I’m finally pushing up the daisies.

It took an extra dose of will power to drag myself out of bed this morning - but with the Beast from the East finally departed it was time to take one more step closer to the magic 100.

Hillsborough was my chosen destination this weekend - having not run much lately I fancied one of the flatter courses. Whilst walking to the start I met George at the pelican crossing. The trainers and lycra shorts rather gave the game away - clearly she was a parkrunner! 

We got chatting during which she told me that Endcliffe parkrun had surprisingly gone ahead as normal last weekend despite the snow and ice - wish I’d gone now, it must have been fun. Well done Ryan and the Endcliffe gang for beating the weather.

As well as being a regular parkrunner George is involved with Good Gym, an inspired initiative which combines recreational running with social good projects in the local community - see weblink below. Kim - you know George I think - she certainly knows you. Nice chatting with you.

https://www.goodgym.org/areas/sheffield

Today was the 266th Hillsborough parkrun and Caroline’s 100th so we gave her a well deserved round of applause (l'll be there with you before too long Caroline). Young Anna too who was doing her 52nd Duke of Edinburgh Award volunteering shift, so well on the way to securing her Gold award - great job Anna. parkrun simply couldn’t operate without the army of willing and able volunteers.

No snow and ice today but a few big puddles to avoid on the course. Running on the muddy grass reminded me of school cross country with Mr Taylor and Mr Cooke (my PE teachers) barking orders at the stragglers, including the ones hiding in the bushes smoking cigarettes (not me, I hasten to add, I was near the front of course!).

Must go - there’s work to do and it’s Mother’s Day tomorrow.

Until next time - happy parkrunning.

Please leave any comments below.

Comments

  1. Chris - you can enjoy the snow fun from Hallam last week in George's photos here: https://m.facebook.com/pg/sheffieldhallamparkrun/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1853983904636572&ref=page_internal&mt_nav=1

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog