Beautiful day, beautiful park, beautiful
people 


It was the local elections this week - I put in a shift for the Green Party at my local polling station as a teller. If, like me, you're interested in people and politics, this can be fun. My job was to gather data on voting patterns to help with party strategy and campaigning  Here's a sample of the conversations that took place during my 2.5 hour shift:

“It's about the trees and the council needs a bloody good kicking.”
“They’re the best of a bad bunch”.
“Things really need to change around here.”
“It’s the way I’ve always voted.’
“I really don’t know until I get into the polling booth.”
“Mind your own business mister.”
"I might tell you on the way out if you play your cards right." 


Strange that last one as I didn't have any cards...

After about an hour standing outside in the cold, I put one foot inside the polling station only to be told by the stern looking presiding officer that I needed to stay outside - frustrating but I guess she was only doing her job. Later another lady offered me a cup of tea and a couple of biscuits which I gratefully accepted. 

I didn’t realise that I was standing under a bird’s nest, as a result of which I got pooped upon at least twice from a great height! Then a nice lady told me I was really handsome and a good advert for the Green Party. I think she must have had a few too many glasses of sherry, or possibly something even stronger - I’m really not that handsome!

Later I helped out at the count at the English Institute of Sport, another new experience. In between my counting duties I found myself people watching (must be the frustrated sociologist in me) - observing the hustle and bustle of local councillors and activists, lots of apparently friendly conversations between the party representatives despite the obvious rivalries, the range of emotions as the votes were being counted and patterns started to emerge. I also spent time talking with Lizzie, one of my fellow volunteers, a postgraduate languages student at University of Sheffield with cerebral palsy who, unprompted by me, spoke very openly about her disability.

It ended up being quite a good night for the Greens - two extra seats on the Council and an increased  majority for Councillor Alison Teale, she of tree protester fame - such a brave and principled lady. And a well deserved bloody nose for Labour. 

I left the EIS at one in the morning having learnt a lot and thinking how lucky I am (we are) to live in a democratic country despite its obvious limitations. 


This weekend my parkrun tour finally ventured out beyond Sheffield to Clumber Park near Worksop. I received a friendly welcome from Patrick and Becca, the latter doing her 75th parkrun.  Kim - do you have a twin sister? - Becca looked a lot like you and with a similar personality. She was of course, delightful!

The highlight of my trip was listening to the banter in the pre-race briefing between race director Lyndon and young Bailey Matthews which apparently takes place every week - it was hilarious! Bailey is the founder of the charitable foundation, Bemorebailey which does wonderful work creating opportunities for disabled children to participate in the triathlon sports of running, cycling and swimming. Check out the website below - it’s really cool.

http://bmbfoundation.co.uk/

On my way back to the car I bumped into a group of hard working volunteers busy sorting the tokens ready to do it all again next week (see photo above). These of course are the unsung heroes without whom parkrun events simply wouldn’t happen - lest we forget.

My Clumber Park experience can be summed up thus: 

Beautiful weather, beautiful park, beautiful people.

I’m sure I’ll be back there sometime soon.

Until next time - happy parkrunning. Please leave any comments below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog