Rich and varied conversations

It's been a depressing week weather-wise don't you think? - although slightly better on Thursday and Friday, I'll give you that. Roll on spring and summer  - we've booked a holiday to La Gomera at Easter to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary, so that's something for us to look forward to.

Last Sunday on the way to visit my 94 year old Dad in Huddersfield, I listened to one of my sporting idols, Roger Federer, winning his 20th grand slam whilst apparently, on the surface at least, barely breaking sweat. What an amazing sportsman and such a great role model - and he speaks four languages (three more than me) - such a talent.    

Dad and I enjoyed lunch at a local farm shop, catching up on our respective news. Later we watched the highlights of aforementioned tennis match - I’m not sure if it’s more or less enjoyable watching one of your sporting heroes perform and win when you already know the result. The tears at the end showed just how much he cares and I found myself sharing in his emotions - the last time I recall that happening was in 2003 when Maria Sharapova won her first Wimbledon title at the tender age of 17. 

Then there was the obligatory snooze on the sofa (well it would be rude not to!) before the journey home. I really enjoy visiting my Dad - and I know he appreciates it.

Had fun this week delivering a mini-lecture during which I had to demonstrate the best and worst of presentation skills. I love role play so my biggest challenge was not going over the top in an act of self indulgence. I think I just about managed it although one student did say to me at the end: “You should be on the stage.”. Perhaps I'll add that to my list of retirement activities.  


Then there was the pleasure gained from facilitating a 90 minute skype conversation between 4 of my students (Sean, Ellie, Kim and Jake) and their placement mentor, Sam, in Tanzania which included a short lesson in Swahili. Observing the students shift from nervous apprehension to outright positivity and excitement during the conversation was such a rewarding experience. They go to Tanzania for 7 weeks in the summer.


I had enjoyed a similarly rich and varied conversation earlier in the week with colleagues from nursing, midwifery, engineering and sport about the potentially transformative power of education. I’m really glad I took 2 hours out of my busy week to participate in that.

I chose Manor Castle today, although when I opened the curtains at 7.30am I realised the weather had taken another turn for the worse. But my love of parkrun and desire to keep you entertained overcame any temptation to take the easy option and pull the duvet back over my head. Plus there was Ailsa demanding her morning cup of tea which provided added incentive to get me out of bed. Always best to keep the other (better) half happy, particularly when she's put up with my snoring and lots more  for nearly 25 years...

No warm Manor greeting from Diane or Barry (Race Directors) this morning - apparently they were on their way back from a skiing holiday (Diane - they're paying you too much money - get back to work!). So instead I joined the rest of the parkrunners in the community house who were sheltering from the rain and the cold. Nice to catch up with Zoe and Matt who I've not seen for a while. Zoe and I ran the first 2 laps together before I decided to stretch my legs a bit. The Manor hill was as painful as ever but I was quite pleased with my time and with finishing 16th out of 40 runners. 

Afterwards it was back to the community house for a quick cup of tea, 2 digestive biscuits, 50p in the bowl and more rich and varied conversation - and so my parkrun day was done. 

Until next time - happy parkrunning. 

Please leave any comments below. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog