Time travel and a love of running

I’ve been on my own this week which has meant I’ve had to be more organised than normal - it's been quite a challenge but I've just about managed. 

Another busy week - a heavy work schedule plus, with Ailsa away, I’ve had to dash home most lunchtimes to walk the dog. “A dog is for life, not for Christmas” which is so true. Being greeted by those sulky eyes, clearly so pleased to see me and apparently thinking deep philosophical thoughts, has been a joy to behold - and then having to walk the legs off her before returning to the classroom in the afternoon has been the best stress buster in the world. Thank you Isla for keeping my busyness in perspective and improving my teaching by at least 20 per cent!

Something really interesting happened in one of my classes this week. Towards the end of the seminar 2 students who clearly didn’t know each other very well started discussing their views on Christianity and sexuality. During the conversation the male student confirmed he was a committed Christian and believed that homosexuality is a sin, at which point the female pronounced that she was gay and was in a 3 year same sex relationship. The conversation continued, unprompted by me, with a high level of respect and tolerance clearly evident on both sides. I found this so refreshing - 2 young people getting on so well despite their very different opinions and lifestyle choices - it gave me optimism for the future. 

No parkrun for me this week - instead it was a trip to Edinburgh to spend time with my daughter. I arrived at her apartment on Friday evening to be greeted by three merry lads (Katie's flatmates) and the sound of Dire Straits, Money for Nothing on the speakers. I was immediately transported back in time, Doctor Who style, to the 1980s when Mark Knopfler and his band were riding high in the charts, giving me and my college mates so much pleasure. Happy days...

Saturday involved a trip to the Scottish national cross country championships in Falkirk. I had so much fun hanging out with Katie’s running buddies (The Hairies), watching them compete in such a friendly and inclusive environment on a beautiful sunny day. Katie’s partner Logan came fourth in his first senior championships, and another friend Cameron, tenth in the under 20s race - both fantastic performances - well done guys. As for the Hairies ...  a nicer bunch of young people it would be difficult to meet - now I know why Katie enjoys her running so much.

Then it was back into the city to watch England surprisingly succumb to Scotland in the Calcutta Cup - I think I was the only Englishman in the pub so kept a pretty low profile for fear of embarrassment and ridicule, although one of the guys at the bar, thinking I looked like a rugby player, tried to persuade me to turn out for his veteran’s XV - an invitation I politely declined by stating that I was a gentle giant and anyway, it would be too far for me to travel every week.

Until next time - happy parkrunning.

Please leave any comments below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog