Mr Forgetful and hairy ankles

Lots to talk about this week - hopefully some of it will be of interest. 

Met one of my former students on an afternoon dog walk (he was running, I was walking). Jedde spoke enthusiastically about his role in leading on PE teacher training at Manchester Met University, how much he was enjoying the responsibility and how appreciative he was of the learning he had acquired during his time at Sheffield Hallam. Nice to catch up Jedde - keep up the good work and keep on running!

Finally approved around 30 students for their international placements this week. They’re travelling as far afield as Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, Tanzania, Sri Lanka, Japan and Spain. It’s quite a responsibility checking they have everything in place for their trips - also deciding whether they are mature and resilient enough to represent both themselves and the University abroad. I am looking forward to learning more about their experiences when they return to the UK. 

Made a rare trip to Endcliffe Park today - accompanying Beverley, a first timer, who understandably was full of nervous excitement. As we walked through the park we chatted to Dave, a retired South Yorkshire Police detective, who, like Beverley, was visiting Endcliffe Park for the first time.  A tourist like me, Dave humbly told us this was his 175th parkrun which has included many beyond Sheffield and South Yorkshire. His achievements rather dwarfed mine by comparison. 

On arrival at the start we were greeted by a gaggle of young sport scientists (is that the correct collective noun I wonder?). They were conducting an experiment into running styles linked to injury prevention, supervised by my colleague the annoyingly handsome Dr Andy Barnes who soon grabbed my attention. Before I knew it I had signed up to the research and had a sensor covered by thick blue tape attached to my ankle, and away we went.  

I accompanied Beverley all the way round today, so it was a gentle jog for me but nonetheless enjoyable in the cool drizzly morning air. Well done Beverley for completing the course - the first of many hopefully. No time for coffee and chat today as I had to drive Ailsa to the airport. 

When I arrived home I felt a strange lump on my ankle. I soon realised that I had forgotten to return the sensor to the researchers. Apologies Barnesy, I hope I did not ruin your experiment. I promise to return the sensor on Monday - but only after I’ve plucked up the courage to remove the tape from my hairy ankle. Pathetic I know but being a southern softie I’ve got a low pain threshold.  

Until next time, happy parkrunning. 

Please leave any comments below.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog