Vision and action can really change things 

This weekend Concord was my chosen destination on a bright, sunny but cold morning. On arrival I was greeted by Tan and Lock, 2  beautiful border collies, who had just completed their own version of parkrun - 2 laps of their park with their owner (also a parkrunner but not today).

I remember being intrigued a few years ago when I learnt that Concord parkrun had been started by the local fire service. Chatting with Race Director Neil this morning, I asked him if they were still involved. Apparently they are, albeit on the periphery - they recently donated a defibrillator and also make their facilities available free of charge for volunteer training - good stuff. 

My time of 25:01 was a bit disappointing and a step back on my goal of breaking the 24 minute barrier by Christmas. The Concord hill held me back (I'm not very good at hills) but I did come first in my age category which was pleasing - I think I might dine out on that! Need to do more training during the week, although I'm not sure where I will find the time.

An interesting conversation before leaving with one of the volunteers who this evening will be making his boxing debut at Bramall Lane raising money for Cancer Research. He seemed quite nervous but excited by the prospect (understandably). Rather him than me, you'd never get me in a boxing ring. Hopefully he will emerge unscathed having raised loads of money for such a worthwhile charity. 

George Monbiot, author, activist and visionary thinker, was in Sheffield recently to promote his brilliant new book ' Out of the Wreckage - a new politics for an age of crisis'. In his talk he began by asking: "How am I able to remain so positive and optimistic when there is so much unwelcome change and negativity in the world?" I sometimes ask myself that question. 

In the book Monbiot creates a thrilling new vision of a better society. His vision is based on a set of principles developed with help from some of his politically active friends and designed to shape a new story, a new political narrative for the 21st century. So inspired was I by these principles, I decided to post them on my Facebook site last week - I felt I had a duty to share. There are 16 in total - here are my favourites:

We want to live in a place guided by empathy, respect, justice, generosity, courage, fun and love
- We want to live in a place in which everyone has a neighbourhood which they feel proud of and can freely participate in the life of the community
- We want to live in a place in which education is a joyful process encouraging children of all abilities to engage with enthusiasm and adults to continue learning throughout their lives

Unrealistic idealism or an achievable vision? - you decide...


A work colleague once said to me: "Chris, I'm happy being unhappy." I remember thinking this was rather odd, possibly even a bit sad. Reflecting later it occurred to me that he may have been suggesting that his training as a sociologist had given him a critical perspective which, although it made life difficult at times, was far preferable to drifting through life without questioning things. At least that's my interpretation of his remarks - I must check next time I see him! 

parkrun's founder Paul Sinton-Hewitt also had a vision back in 2004.

"Wouldn't it be great if there was a parkrun in every town and city in the world?" 

15 years later parkrun is well on the way to achieving that vision and is improving so many lives, delivering on their mission of helping to make the world a healthier, happier place. This vision won't be achieved in our lifetimes, but hopefully someday it will. As Joel A Barker, technology and business futurist, said:

"Vision without action is merely a dream; action without vision merely passes the time; vision with action can change the world."

For me parkrun is the perfect example of this, and as such provides a useful metaphor for life. 

69 and counting. Until next time - happy parkrunning...

Please leave any comments below.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog