Running and the human spirit 

Another busy week - not much teaching but loads of meetings, student interviews for an Africa volunteering project (very exciting) plus piles of marking (or 'grading' as my brother in  America calls it). Marking students' work is the least enjoyable and most stressful part of my job, mainly because I know it's important but also because I don't feel entirely comfortable forming judgements on other people's work. 

So the parkrun couldn't come soon enough - an opportunity to relax, unwind and have some fun. 

Hillsborough was my chosen destination this week and it didn't disappoint. It was their 250th event and Dorothy, wife of Roy who runs in the 85-90 category, had baked an awesome cake on which Stephen's Corner had pride of place (more about that later).  

Before the run I chatted with Kate, a year 10 student at Stocksbridge High School and one of the  volunteers, who told me she was pursuing her Duke of Edinburgh bronze award and that English was her favourite subject. Such a pleasant young lady. 

Half way round the course another volunteer was holding a placard entitled 'Stephen's Corner'. The man was providing split times, presumably as a source of motivation and encouragement. It must have worked for me as my time of 24:30 (3rd in my age category) was quite pleasing - a step nearer the 24 minute barrier which is my goal to achieve before the end of the year - much easier said than done...  

On my way back to the car I met Stephen, the subject of the aforementioned placard and celebratory cake. He told me he had been standing on that corner for 2 years and that he had 3 priorities in life: Sheffield Wednesday FC, parkrun and family, in that order. I think he was joking about the order - at least I hope so.  

I must mention our family trip last weekend to the Leeds Abbey 10k Dash which was truly memorable. Logan (Katie's lovely boyfriend) came 6th in the elite race, 6th out of 11,000 runners, and the first Scot home in a time of 29:28, beating his PB by a full 30 seconds - very impressive and a significant milestone in his burgeoning athletics career. The only thing he did wrong on the day was to turn up an hour late for the prizegiving ceremony by which time all the other runners had gone home. Silly boy Logan - typical student! 

Equally enjoyable was watching all the other participants finishing the race - decent club runners,  the gang of superheroes, and a man in a bear outfit (at least I think it was a man, if not it was a very large lady - Miranda Hart perhaps). These mass participation events reflect something special about the human spirit - so many people striving to achieve personal goals, the sense of camaraderie, the humour of the guy on the PA system, the altruism of people raising money for so many worthwhile charities. Katie and I agreed we will take part next year (you heard it here first), although we will struggle to keep up with Logan!  

You may have noticed a bit of a change in tone with some of my blogs in recent weeks - I am trying to broaden the scope a bit by including other stuff which is important to me and hopefully is of interest to you. I hope you can cope with this - if not, please do let me know and I will take you off the circulation list. 

Until next time - happy parkrunning...

Please leave any comments below - it would be good to receive some feedback.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog