parkrun never disappoints

After a busy week, when the alarm sounded on Saturday morning at 8 it was very tempting to drag the duvet back over my head for another hour's sleep. Instead I decided to drag myself out of bed - a wise decision it proved to be as yet again parkrun Sheffield did not disappoint.

Hillsborough was my chosen destination today - not been there for a while and the relatively flat course was appealing as I am still recovering from that mild bout of sciatica, so did not want exert myself too much.

On arrival I noticed the volunteers handing out pacemaker bibs to yet more volunteers. There were roles for people with different finishing times ranging from 20-35 minutes, providing encouragement and support for runners of all ages, genders, sizes and abilities - an interesting initiative which I had not come across before.

John, the Race Director, a pleasant man with an air of calm authority, provided a warm welcome for one and all and then proceeded to introduce all the pacemakers individually from his podium position high up in the adjacent playpark - rather like a king addressing his subjects in days gone by. No megafone required for John!

When we began I decided to run alongside Tim, the 26 minute man, who dragged me round the 3 laps of the park in a time of 25.39 - not bad I guess for a 55 year old recovering from a niggling injury.

On my return to the car I met Dawn, another parkrun volunteer, who was busy encouraging the tail runners to keep going all the way to the finish. Her broad Norfolk accent came as a bit of a surprise to me and we ended up swopping stories about her home county. I have to confess, at least one of my stories was less than complimentary, but because it was delivered tongue in cheek and with good humour it didn't seem to offend her. - at least I hope not.

I promised Dawn I would include her in my blog - she promised me she would slap me next time I visit Hillsborough.  I look forward to that Dawn!

My frequent references to dragging have reminded me of a family friend growing up in the 1970's who had a dachshund dog named Woodbine who sadly had no legs. One day we asked him why he had called his dog Woodbine - I'll always remember his reply:

"Being a dachshund he doesn't need much exercise, but I'm a responsible dog owner so every night I take him out for a drag."

Please leave any comments below.

Until next time - happy parkrunning..

 
.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog