parkrun conversations 

Back to Sheffield Castle today - Mr Forgetful needed to pick up that item of clothing left behind last Saturday, a mission successfully achieved. This time I was without Isla who was at home recovering from 'the op' which finally took place during the week. No puppies for Isla I'm afraid! 

I received the normal friendly welcome from Diane, resplendent in her trackie and Race Director's bib and fresh from a tour of the park depositing cones at strategic points to prevent numpties like me from taking a wrong turn and causing chaos. 

I interviewed Diane along with all the other local parkrun race directors a while ago. During the interview I asked her how she first got involved in parkrun. Her reply was legendary - it went something like this:

"I don't like running and I don't like technology - how the bloody hell  I got involved in parkrun I'll never know..".   

I felt a little stronger this week - that run on the treadmill on Tuesday must have helped, although the Manor hill doesn't get any easier, particularly on the third lap. My time of 25.18 was a minute faster than last week, so quite pleasing. My goal of 24 mins by Christmas still seems a distance away, although it will be more achievable on one of the flatter courses - Rother Valley perhaps. 

No drinks in the community house this week - instead there was a cake stall and raffle at the finish raising money for Ryegate Children's Centre and St Luke's hospice in memory of Sam who sadly died recently of cancer in her early 40's leaving behind 2 young kids - rather puts things in perspective don't you think..

At the finish I found myself listening to the multitude of conversations taking place around me  - everything from running, to family, to work, to what's on TV this evening (it will be Strictly for me - I love it!). I wasn't exactly earwigging - merely taking an interest in what was going on around me and thinking how parkrun provides a catalyst for so many interesting and varied conversations.

Before leaving there was time for a quick chat and friendly handshake with Colin, the strength and conditioning coach, who was busy supervising the park life exercise equipment, and with young Tom aged 11, a talented runner, who this week experienced (and won) his first cross-country run in  PE lessons at High Stoors Secondary School. I'm sure we can all recall cross-country from our school days, no doubt with mixed emotions. I remember it nearly always taking place in the pouring rain when the sports pitches were waterlogged and unfit for play. I don't remember it being much fun though and it certainly didn't switch me onto running or athletics - indeed it probably had the opposite effect for many of my peers who were less sporty than me. I also don't remember my PE teachers - Mr Taylor and Mr Cook, both good athletes themselves - being very encouraging or inclusive, in fact the complete opposite. Hopefully Tom's experience and that of his peers will be better than mine.

65 and counting - no intentions of retiring just yet! 


Until next time - happy parkrunning. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog