Back on the road

Back on the road after a two-week break - this time at Concord accompanied by my son Luke for whom it was his first parkrun. We chose Concord partly because it is one of the flatter courses (good for Luke as he has only just started running) and I also had a debt to pay to Lynne, one of the volunteers, which had been bugging me for a while.

On arrival we were surprised to be greeted by Alex, our Race Director friend from Endliffe parkrun, and about 80 other runners. Alex was there to support Peter Taylor, who was  celebrating his 200th parkrun - impressive stuff which rather put my miserly total into perspective!  

After the normal briefing Luke and I strolled round the course in beautiful sunshine and cloudless skies barely breaking sweat. Our second lap was briefly interrupted by a little girl in a bit of state because she had lost her dog. I offered to help but she declined - hopefully she found the dog…

Luke beat me in a friendly sprint finish which was duly acknowledged by enthusiastic applause from the gathered posse of faster runners and volunteers. We were rewarded with a variety of cakes and orange juice - a nice touch by the volunteers. Luke, being a vegan, declined the cakes, so I ate his share!

Afterwards I managed to track down Lynne and reminded her that I was the bloke who owed her a tenner for kindly buying me breakfast a few weeks ago. Fortunately she remembered me and we meandered back to my car together during which she told me how she had only taken up running four years ago after she retired and how much she loved it. The debt was finally settled, but no breakfast with the running club this time - being a henpecked husband I had too many jobs to do at home! Another cracking start to a weekend though.


54 and counting..!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog